Being the musings of a former single Type A attorney, turned tender of home-schooled children, organic gardens, backyard chickens and, now, bees.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Post #3, in which I discover latent carpentry skills, and emerge victorious with one completed hive.
Well, move over Bob the Builder! After a day of gluing, hammering, and hoping we were doing this the right way, I’m happy to say that Eliza and I have managed to put together (completely without any male assistance, I’m happy to add) one finished bee hive – complete with hive stand, bottom board, deep hive, honey super, migratory lid and 20 frames of foundation. In other words, we have gone from this:
We have tapped in to our inner carpenters and discovered new talents – and have enjoyed ourselves immensely. A fun, rainy day of staying in our jammies and trying something completely out of our comfort zone. And the house has taken on a wonderful odor of beeswax and new wood.
Now . . . on to hive #2!!
1.) Box of mystery pieces
2.) Application of new carpentry skills
3.) Voila! Are here we have 40 new frames for our beehives!